- Can Yelp Help Independent Restaurants Drive Out the Chains - Loved this article because it shows how Yelp makes the world better for the little guy. Usually, it's big companies that benefit from the economies of scale of technology. Yelp flips that around, and it makes life better for people like me, who enjoy eating at a local, small place that has a story.
- Flick Chicks by Mindy Kaling - a terrific young writer. She's the Indian woman on the Office too.
- Pitch Me Another: Apple's New Yorker Ads - takes me way back. "Think Different" is probably my favorite ad campaign this side of "Where's the Beef?"
- Joel McHale: Life as a Walk-On - I can kind of relate because I walked onto the CAL lacrosse team my sophomore year. I missed the competition and camaraderie of team sports so I taught myself a new sport. It's one of the best things I ever did and Joel's article brought out a ton of good memories. Plus it's funny. :)
- Building on Fire - an awesome pic at Daily Dose of Imagery, one of my favorite photo blogs.
- Good Golly Molly - Ton's of New Products - everyone's favorite dog bedding company, Molly Mutt, has a ton of great new stuff.
- A Eulogy of Action - Seth Godin's excellent thoughts on Jobs' passing, "Everything is different because of the device you are reading this on."
- Last American Who Knew What He Was Doing - The Onion on Jobs
- Why Startup Hubs Work - This is already clear to people who live in the Bay Area, but it's written for the world's benefit.
- Apple is Quietly Disintermediating Google in Mobile Search- this is really happening, and it's happening very quickly
- Amazon's Amazing Kindle Growth Chart - wow!
- Notes on Groupon from Felix Salmon - Good article on Groupon and the coupon world. Thanks Walm for sending.
- Universe Dented, Grass Underfoot - my favorite Jobs article of the week.
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Sunday Brunch - October 9, 2011
Hope you enjoy the weekly links with a twist. I got some constructive feedback last week that people wanted a little commentary along with the link. I'll do my best to keep it quick and cool.